WALKING WITH AIDAN
Like Aidan, we are on a pilgrimage seeking our next rector. For the Easter Season and Summer months, St. Aidan's will employ the services of Supply Clergy in the Diocese of Southern Virginia while we start our search. Later in the summer, we will employ an Interim Rector who will help us oversee the search process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Senior Warden, Pam Belote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Aidan's has just finished forming a search committee composed of the following individuals who have graciously accepted this calling: Jerry Alley; Kathy Benson; Mary Dail; Andy Fischer; Janice Poole; Sid Vaughn; and Irv Wells.
Charge to the Search Committee:
With God's help and empowered by the Holy Spirit, the Vestry of St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church charges the Search Committee for a new rector with the following responsibilities:
1. Become an effective team, guided by prayer and the Holy Spirit in a process of inclusive discernment, which includes the congregation, Vestry, and candidates.
2. Follow the search process of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia.
3. Use Elise Balcom, the Diocese appointed search consultant, as a primary resource and coach.
4. Maintain transparency with the congregation about the process to include the tasks the committee is performing, the process the committee is following, and the expected schedule.
5. Maintain complete confidentiality with everyone except the Diocese staff and the appointed consultant about the candidates.
6. Develop an event-driven timeline for the search, including major tasks and milestones.
7. Develop and manage a budget for search expenses (e.g., travel expenses for candidate visits) and submit to Vestry for approval. Update this budget as required.
8. Inform the church family regularly of where the Search Committee is in its process, using all available communication channels.
9. Host parish self-reflection events (e.g. focus groups or a parish-wide meeting) to gather data for the Office of Transition Ministries Community Portfolio form and for an updated website as required.
10. Complete the OTM Community Portfolio.
11. Use the Mission and Vision report completed in August 2017 and the results of the Holycow Consulting Church Assessment completed in October 2017 in creation of the OTM Community Portfolio.
12. Oversee update of the parish website, so that it becomes a current and accurate reflection of the parish to include vision, character, programs, and hopes.
13. Work with Elise Balcom and the Diocese staff to recruit suitable candidates.
14. Use combination of electronic-based and in-person interviews to discern which candidates are best fit for the parish.
15. Through a prayerful process of discernment and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, select suitable candidates to submit to the vestry for consideration as the next Rector. Ideally, there should be more than one candidate. The candidates should be accompanied with the search committee’s assessment of suitability.
Understanding that the duration of the search process is subject to various unpredictable factors, the Vestry hopes the Committee will complete its work by December 31, 2020.
Approved by the Vestry, May 28, 2019